Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Power Of Unified Prayer

Twice in my life I have been surprised by the power of unified prayer in my own life. Both times have been turbulent painful anxious moments in which after prayer I have experienced peace.

Today is one of those two times. It can't be described the war that has been inside me today. In just a few short hours my precious little Elshaday's case will be before an Ethiopian court for the first time. This would be a normally stressful event for any adoptive parent.

But like the rest of my adoption stories...nothing is normal about it. Once again we have been thrown into limbo. And the details don't matter. What does matter is that God is giving peace and grace to this girl.

I have been wringing my hands for three days. And for three days I have stood alone in a forest watching tree after tree fall knowing that my tree was about to either be passed and spared or come crashing down with the others. And I have been standing below that tree crying and pleading and desperately searching for ways to control the outcome. Ultimately I have realized that I am completely and utterly helpless to save it. And I have despaired.

But today I have lifted my eyes back where they belong. They are on my heavenly father. And He knows my needs. And He knows my wants. And despite the impending pruning I may encounter He will see me through to the very end. And knowing that and acknowledging that I called for help.

I am not asking God to fix the contest. (Ok....well maybe I am) But before that...I really am asking to be in His will. That is the only place I ever want to be. And after that...I am asking Him to help me to get my heart in line with wherever His will might take me. And then beyond that....yes I am asking for my way. :)

But I have turned to prayer. My own prayers have been sabotaged by doubt. Not doubt in the prayer so much...but rather doubt in my own worthiness to offer a prayer. I have had such a poor attitude and such a sour mouth that I can't fathom my right to ask for something from my heavenly Father. Who am I that I deserve His favor? I am reminded that He loves me just the same. And He wants to give good things to His children. But He does love to be asked.

I am also reminded that He loves to be given the glory. And whether that means that I have to endure something I don't want to....or whether he grants me my request...He wants to be glorified in the moment. And to do that requires me to live this out loud for everyone else to see.

And so with that....I knew that it was time to ask others for prayer. With a heart not yet settled and a secret hope for "magic" in just getting a large number of people praying.....(I know...it doesn't work that way) I called and asked for prayers. And I knew better than for asking for my way...I just asked for two things. God's will and peace.

By the time the phone reached the receiver....He had already answered the one request. I have been filled with peace. Instantly I am feeling ok with whatever the outcome will be. My hope for positive news has returned and my willingness to be an instrument of bringing glory has surfaced......And it is all because of the power of unified prayer.

And the blessing of having my first prayer answered immediately is that I know that now...my second prayer will be too. He has given me peace to show me He is listening. And now He will work all things together because I have been called according to His purpose. And I will walk obediently in His will.....

1 comment:

  1. Can you hear that? That's me cheering for God & for you & praying with the masses.

    ReplyDelete